Pray With Us
“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
Please join our team as we pray for the following needs:
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please pray:
- • For the healing of those infected and for the safety and health of all those who work in health care and serve those who are ill.
• Comfort for those who have lost loved ones.
• That those who must carry on with work/studies/activities would be protected from this virus.
• Provision for the ongoing needs of leaders, schools and churches as we navigate the pandemic’s lasting repercussions.
• That the needs of those who are most vulnerable financially and emotionally would be met during these hard times.
• That believers in Christ may be a clear witness to and example of the love of Jesus for others, and that God would use this time to bring people closer to Him.
With Scholar Leaders and our partners in Overseas Council, give thanks for:
- • Generous donors who helped schools and individuals through our COVID-19 relief fund.
• Flexibility and innovation as schools have pivoted to online ministry.
• Technology that enables us to stay in touch from across the globe, even when we cannot travel.
• Leaders who persevere despite hardship.
• Faculty members who have learned new skills and adapted to online teaching, even as many have experienced pay cuts.
• Scholars who continue to make academic progress, even when schools and libraries have shut down and research trips have been delayed.
- CHINA: Pray for the church as it adjusts to constantly tightening restrictions of religious freedom, for Christians in ethnic minorities who have followed Jesus out of Islam or Buddhism (that they would find strength and fellowship) and pray that Christ will reveal Himself to government officials who seek to control the church.
- PAKISTAN: Some time ago the Pakistani government expelled 18 Western NGOs from Pakistan, including World Vision. Pray for stability, peace and Godly leadership development, so local leaders can act according to God’s love and for the sake of Christian witness. Also pray for unity and a growing maturity in the Pakistani churches.
- INDIA: Pray for India, which continues to deal with and recover from COVID. Many hospitals have been pressed past their limit and there is no adequate supplies of oxygen or ventilators, and very limited access to life-saving medicines. Medical professionals are exhausted and have reached their limits while taking care of patients. Millions have lost their jobs during the pandemic and still have no means of sustaining livelihood. For many, this has been a terrible time with a sense of helplessness. Pray for them and the persecuted minority in India, as Christians and Muslims are increasingly under government scrutiny and discriminatory policies. And pray for churches, mission agencies, and theological institutions that will need to reinvent their modes of operation in a post-pandemic world. Lift up our brothers and sisters in Christ at Allahabad Bible Seminary in northern India and at Madras Theological Seminary and College in southern India.
- HONG KONG: Hong Kong has gone through a lot of turmoil in the last two years. Many feel discouraged, even despondent, about the social and political situation. Pray that God would bring hope and strength to the disheartened and that this time of trial would serve to deepen the spirituality of Christians in Hong Kong. Pray that churches in Hong Kong will know how to survive, and even thrive, in their changing environment. Pray that God would grant His ministers humility and sensitivity to give pastoral care to Christians of all political positions, that God would give them wisdom to preach the Word faithfully and gently in this difficult time and that churches would be wise as serpents, but innocent as doves. (from Scholar Leaders)
- KYRGYSTAN: Join us in praying for the Church in Kyrgyzstan as it holds fast to the word of life and preaches hope in Jesus Christ amid opposition, ethnic conflicts, political instability, and economic hardship.
- RUSSIA: Please pray for the Evangelical churches in Russia and their work, in accordance with the current legislation of the Russian Federation. Pray for spiritual education in Russia, so that various institutes and universities could have state-accredited programs in Protestant theology. And pray for the preparation of the teaching staff at religious educational organizations, that they can have an education that is recognized by the state. (Scholar Leaders)
- AFGHANISTAN: Open Doors Field Director for Asia, continues to ask for prayers: “These are uncertain times for Christians in Afghanistan. It’s absolutely dangerous. We don’t know what the next months will bring, what kind of implementation of Sharia Law we will see, but we continue to ask you to intercede for our brothers and sisters. They are facing insurmountable adversity. We must pray without ceasing.”
- IRAQ: Pray for encouragement as churches change their approach of reaching people to using the Internet and social media. Pray for wisdom for politicians, the new Prime Minister, and the new government, so they can help Iraq attain political and financial stability, especially in these difficult times with COVID-19 and decreasing international oil prices.
Southeast Asia Vietnam
- VIETNAM: Pray for perseverance and wisdom for the translators at Seed Christian Literature in Hanoi, that they will produce quality literature for the church and that it will sell and help this fledgling company become self-sustainable.
- Pray for the leaders of Hanoi Bible College as they seek to implement the strategy they developed in March 2018 for a future campus. Pray that the authorities will show favor to HBC.
- Pray for Christians in Hà Giang province to persevere in faith and for the HBC graduate who is ministering in this region.
- Pray the church in Hanoi and throughout Vietnam will remain unified and continue to flourish and grow.
- Pray for God’s wisdom among the leadership of HBC as they work to improve HBC’s academic program, moving toward accreditation with the Asia Theological Association. May they also be given God’s grace as they seek to identify and train Vietnamese faculty and staff. Pray for God’s blessing on the ongoing training and mentoring of students, that they will learn to love God’s word and lead with humility.
- “Please pray for wisdom for me to clearly defend my thesis proposal in 2021 at Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary. My research focuses on contextualized theological training for ethnic minorities in North Vietnam. By exploring historical, cultural, and language factors that enhance the academic success of ethnic minority students at Hanoi Bible College, I hope to develop a more effective model of theological education for the Christian and Missionary Alliance in North Vietnam.” SaraLen Tran
- MYANMAR: Please pray for the leadership of Myanmar Evangelical Graduate School of Theology, for courage and wisdom as they recover from Covid and face a very uncertain political situation. Pray for safety, divine protection and victory.
- CUBA: Pray that the Cuban Church will be able to respond to new social challenges and that it can continue its evangelizing mission with vigor. Pray for a bridge of understanding between the governments of the United States and Cuba. Pray for the stability and growth of the Conrad Grebel Theological School in Holguin, and that it may find a permanent home in the not-too-distant future.
- HAITI: Pray for Godly leaders who will prioritize Haiti’s wellbeing and address the nation’s massive problems. A history of misrule, tyranny and rampant corruption has immersed the country in hopelessness and despair.
- VENEZUELA: Pray for the situation in Venezuela, as the people experience catastrophic leadership, There are more than a million Venezuelan refuges in Colombia and many more in other countries of the region (Scholar Leaders). Pray there will be peaceful resolution and that the political leadership would refuse the option of corruption and civil strife, instead bringing to the people honest and fair rule. Pray for Christians who, as salt and light, live the life of Christ in their civil society.
- BRAZIL: Pray for the development of a new generation of leaders within the Brazilian Church, so it will accept their important strategic role in the difficult times they are facing.
- COSTA RICA: Pray for Costa Ricans and Latin Americans, as the Prosperity Gospel is spreading and pushing people to give offerings in exchange for miracles and healings. Pray that they will know that salvation is by faith in Christ alone and that they do not have to pay for God’s favour. (Scholar Leaders)
- UKRAINE: Since the Russo-Ukrainian war in eastern Ukraine broke out in 2014, some 12,000 people have been killed, a quarter of them civilians, and as many as 30,000 wounded. With no prospects of ending the ongoing war in sight, Ukrainian soldiers are often discouraged. Please pray for an end to the ongoing war and for those who defend Ukraine from the Russian aggression.
- Pray that God’s Word would continue to resonate in prisons in Ukraine and beyond as people behind bars find Christ.
- From Rev. Ivan Rusyn, President of Ukraine Evangelical Theological Seminary: Please pray that God would keep the doors open for us to effectively carry out His mission in Ukraine, Eastern Europe and Central Asia and for the Lord to keep UETS students, faculty and staff safe during the pandemic.
- Langham Literature is at work creating a new one-volume Bible Commentary for Central and Eastern Europe, contributing to an indigenous body of scholarship and help for theologians, preachers and church leaders in that region. Please pray for all those involved in writing and editing the Commentary, and also for the new articles editor as he works on manuscripts that have been submitted – pray that these articles will be relevant to the Central Eastern European context. (The anticipated publishing date is the middle of 2022 – pray that there will not be further delays in reaching this deadline.)
- LEBANON: The situation in Beirut remains dark and dismal. A staff member at Arab Baptist Theological Seminary notes that “sometimes it’s difficult to find a ray of light. It’s becoming hard to carry hope to others when we struggle to hold on to it ourselves. Pray for a renewed strength and joy in Him that we can reflect to others around us, in these tough times our country is going through. May we be sensitive to the needs of others and allow God to use us to help them out and share with them the source of our love, hope and joy: Jesus Christ!”
- The Evangelical Church in Lebanon is trying to find its voice amid uncertainty. Proclaiming the Gospel and making disciples under these circumstances, and at a time when the Church cannot gather, comes with many challenges. Pray for pastors and ministry leaders to navigate these unchartered waters with wisdom and that Christians may stand firm and be prophetic and courageous as they engage the political, economic, and social situation, all the while trusting that God is good and sovereign. May God use the present suffering to draw people to himself.
- EGYPT: Pray for the training of pastors within the evangelical churches in Egypt – as the Church grows and faces trials and persecution, solid leadership is essential.
- ISRAEL: Jack Sara, President of Bethlehem Bible College asks us to please pray for the health of our students, faculty, staff, and families; for health and economic recovery within Palestinians; and for the leadership of Bethlehem Bible College to navigate with grace and wisdom this difficult season they are in.
- ISRAEL: Rev. Azar Ajaj of Nazareth Evangelical College: “Please pray for peace in our communities. Our cities are no longer safe. Violence can erupt at any moment and innocent people can be hurt. And pray for our students. Some of them live in dangerous areas, and they are no longer able to study or to live in a normal way. Also pray for our peacemaking programs and our Peace Center so that we will be able to be effective in spreading the peace of God during these difficult times. Pray that our activities, classes, and articles will accomplish their goals in spreading peace as well as creating peacemakers. Pray that God will send us more partners who can join us in spreading the peace of Jesus Christ among both Palestinians and Israelis. Overall, pray that God will bring social and political peace for both Palestinians and Israelis.
- IRAQ: A pastor of the Baptist Church of Baghdad in Iraq and Adjunct Professor for Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (ABTS) asks prayer for protection for his wife and daughter, and for their church to be more involved and effective in supporting the needs of the community around them, e.g. that their dream to start a primary school for the children from Muslim families would come true.
- SUDAN: ABTS students who come from Sudan request prayer for their country in this time of unrest. Pray that peace, security and stability would permeate South Sudan. Millions have been forced to flee their homes due to internal wars, while famine and human rights violations continue.
- Pray for Dr. Stuart Brooking and Overseas Council Australia as they implement their Mile-Deep Strategy, which will deepen the spiritual life of the Church in Africa through resourcing the leadership development of the Church.
- Pray for the schools that ACTEA (Association for Christian Theological Education in Africa) represents. Africa’s theological institutions are really struggling. Some have transitioned to online theological training, despite the lack of preparation. Some could not keep up with monthly expenses and had to let go of some staff members. Some are on the verge of closing completely. Most institutions are trying to find ways to increase sustainability. Others are in areas with erratic power supply and are trying to raise funds for solar energy. Most are in countries with serious sociopolitical challenges. David Tarus, Exec. Dir of ACTEA
- SOUTH AFRICA: George Whitefield College, Muizenberg, asks for prayer for wisdom for the COVID-19 Task Team in steering the workplace and study environment in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- TANZANIA: The church needs strong theological leadership and biblical discipleship amid the prevalence of religious syncretism and witchcraft. (Global Scholars)
- CONGO: The Democratic Republic of Congo has been affected for several years by social, political, and economic crises. The area around Bunia has experienced renewed conflict and the displacement of about 300,000 people. Pray for peace to be restored in DRC. Pray for a stop to the violence and killing that has erupted in areas like Beni & Oicha areas of DR Congo. Pray for the leadership of the country, that the Lord may use them for the restoration of good governance as a condition for socioeconomic ease.
- KENYA: Carlile College in Nairobi is currently working on a pig rearing income generation project, so they can earn additional income to help resource their core activity of training Christian leaders. Rev Patience Santa Wanzala, Principal of Carlile College, asks us to pray that the college gets the right farm worker and veterinary officer to do the work, that, God willing, over the next 2 years the project will grow into an industry, and that it will be of good support to the proclamation of the gospel. Also pray that the college remains focused on its vision to equip leaders academically, spiritually, and in strengthening their mission formation.
- SIERRA LEONE: Pray for the ongoing construction of the Mount Zion training and retreat centre in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Mount Zion will accommodate 40 long-term students and host up to 100 participants for shorter retreats. The training centre will eventually serve the entire Anglican Province of West Africa, catering to the training of church leaders on different levels, but with a special attention to grass-root church leaders in remote areas. Pray for the project team in Sierra Leone and for the contractor. Ask God to guide us through hindrances and challenges, so Mount Zion can become a fruitful centre to equip and empower the future church leaders in West Africa. Relay Trust (relaytrust.org)
- NIGERIA: The Nigerian political, moral, social, economic, and religious context is very volatile. There is a high rise in crimes, insecurity, kidnapping, Fulani herders continuing to murder innocent farmers and destroy their villages, bad governance, increasing corruption, etc. Pray that God will help the Nigerian government to delight in justice and righteousness, so that it will be a safe place for human flourishing.
- ALGERIA: Please pray for all the local churches that have been shut down in Algeria, not because of the pandemic, but due to the increasing governmental pressures on the Algerian Church.
- ETHIOPIA: Please pray for the voiceless Amhara, Agaw, and Orthodox Christians, who are still fleeing war and killings in the Oromia and Benshangul Gumuz regions, and particularly in the Metekel region. And pray for the 13 female and 4 male Dembi Dollo university students who were abducted a year ago. Their whereabouts remains unknown. Scholar Leaders
Pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters around the world, that they would remain steadfast in their faith and committed to being salt and light where God has placed them.